Want to try a more feature-packed Treble ROM on your Huawei/Honor device? In this guide, we will show you how to install LineageOS 15.1 on Honor View 10 and Huawei Mate 10 Pro. The ROM itself is based on Google Project Treble.
Huawei devices are not often considered an epicenter of major Android development scene. But ever since last year, more and more third-party developers are shifting to Huawei and especially Honor devices. The major reason behind the transition is that the devices from Huawei are nearing perfection in every case. Be it the design, hardware configuration, software support or cost-effectiveness. Another major factor is Google’s own Project Treble implementation. Huawei/Honor devices including the Honor 8 Pro, Huawei Mate 10/Pro, Honor 9, and the recently introduced Honor View 10, all support Project Treble, either out-of-the-box or through software updates. The community has already built Treble-based AOSP Oreo builds for the phones. And the time has come to finally enjoy something more packed with features. So follow the steps below to install LineageOS 15.1 on Huawei Mate 10 Pro and Honor View 10.
Guide to Install LineageOS 15.1 on Honor View 10 and Huawei Mate 10 Pro
Huawei’s Mate 10 Pro and the Honor View 10 (v10) are the two latest flagships of the company’s regular and Honor series respectively. While both the devices run the company-owned Hisilicon Kirin 970 Octa-core processor, they differ in several other hardware aspects. The latter is more tilted towards providing the latest hardware capabilities in a mid-range price spectrum. On the software end, both the Mate 10 Pro and V10 come with Android Oreo-based EMUI 8.0 out-of-the-box. The custom development scene for both the devices is now on a hike with the availability of root, TWRP, and custom ROMs.
LineageOS 15.1 is still officially in development. However, XDA developers LuK1337 and luca020400 have taken a step forward and compiled Treble-based LineageOS builds for Huawei/Honor devices running the HiSilicon Kirin 970 chipset. Before we proceed with the instructions to install LineageOS 15.1 on Honor View 10 and Huawei Mate 10 Pro, let us take a slight look what Project Treble actually is.
Screenshots credit: XDA-Developers
Google introduced Project Treble with Android Oreo and is regarded as the one of low-level, yet a significant change in the complete Android ecosystem. It basically separates the Android Framework from the Vendor-specific proprietary code, making the framework independent. Thus, software updates can be rolled out at a much faster pace. For the third-party development scene, Treble enables the developers to compile Generic System Images that could be easily run on any Treble-compliant device. Which means it would take less time for developing custom ROMs.
LineageOS has an upper hand over the available AOSP builds when it comes to providing features. Since the ROM is basically a Generic System Image, it can be flashed on both the said devices without having to look for any device-specific builds. Now without further ado, go ahead and read out the instructions to install LineageOS 15.1 on Honor View 10 and Huawei Mate 10 Pro.
- You will first need to unlock the phone’s bootloader. Visit the official Huawei unlock page and follow the instructions.
- Take a complete backup of your Honor/Huawei device. The ROM will erase all the apps and related data on your phone.
- Charge your phone to at least 50-60% battery level to avoid any sudden shutdowns during the flashing process.
- Install Huawei USB drivers on your PC.
- You will also need to download the ADB/Fastboot platform-tools: Link
- Extract the content of the downloaded file and move them to C:\adb on your PC.
- Spec-compliant USB cable.
Once you fulfilled the requirements, scroll down below and follow the instructions to install LineageOS 15.1 on Honor View 10 and Huawei Mate 10 Pro.
Download Project Treble LineageOS 15.1 ROM
The builds are updated constantly, so download the latest one for your device.
- Download LineageOS 15.1 for Honor View 10/Huawei Mate 10 Pro: AndroidFileHost
Steps to Install LineageOS 15.1 on Honor View 10 and Huawei Mate 10 Pro
- Download the ROM (system_2018xxx_xxxx.img or system_2018xxxx.img) from the above link.
- Copy the downloaded LineageOS system image to C:\adb. This is the folder where you extracted the ADB/Fastboot binaries along with other platform-tools.
- In the same folder, hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space.
- Select the “Open PowerShell window here” option.
- Now, power off your Honor/Huawei phone completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Down + Power button to enter the bootloader mode.
- While your phone is in bootloader mode, connect it to the PC using the USB cable.
- Next, verify that your device is being correctly detected by the PC. To do so, enter the following command:
- It should return a device ID, along with a “fastboot” message on the PowerShell screen. If not, then make sure to correctly install the device drivers.
- Finally, install LineageOS 15.1 on Honor View 10 and Huawei Mate 10 Pro using:
fastboot flash system system.img
- Here, you will need to replace the “system.img” with the exact name of the file you downloaded. Example:
fastboot flash system system_20180224.img
- Or: fastboot flash system system_20180223_1840.img
- The flashing process would take a minute at most.
- Once complete, reboot your phone by entering:
In case of a bootloop, you may even need to Wipe Data/Cache Partition in stock recovery. When your Honor View 10/Huawei Mate 10 Pro boots into the OS, you shall be able to try the all-new LineageOS features. The developers are carrying out constant development by implementing the latest LAOS 15.1 code, which means you’ll get to enjoy the latest additions to the ROM. The source code for the ROM could be found at the Github page.
So this was our guide on how to install LineageOS 15.1 on Honor View 10 and Huawei Mate 10 Pro. If you have any questions, let us know by commenting below.